Carbon Monoxide (CO) is known as the “silent killer” because of its toxic colorless and odorless gas. A CO leak can can go unnoticed if proper precautions are not taken such as a carbon monoxide monitor and regular maintenance done on your appliances.
The cold fall and winter months are typically around the time when many carbon monoxide leaks are found since furnaces are being used more regularly. Knowing how to detect a leak early is a good way to ensure you are keeping yourself and your family safe. Listen to the monitor, if its beeping check for a leak or call D&R Heating and Air right away.
What to look for when checking where a carbon monoxide leak is coming from:
Cracks in the combustion chamber
Older furnaces with signs of wear and tear
Leaky seams on furnaces and boilers
Cracks in the exhaust piping
Yellow burner flame instead of the clear blue flame
Heavy condensation on windows where appliances are installed
Fallen soot in fireplaces
Stale, smelly, or stuffy air
Brownish-yellow or sooty stains around leaking appliances
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is when CO enters the lungs and takes place of the oxygen in the blood stream. Some symptoms can include, but are not limited to, shortness of breath, chest pain, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, and confusion. Call 911and evacuate the home if you think you or anyone in your home is experiencing these symptoms related to carbon monoxide exposure.
During a routine furnace maintenance the technicians will check and test for carbon monoxide leaks and levels. If you are curious about carbon monoxide feel free to ask a D&R Heating and Air service technician. They are very knowledgeable and can help put your mind at ease.